Author Topic: DVLA and mental health.  (Read 5410 times)

Offline Terri

• Orsem superstar-ess
  • Administrator
  • Always here
  • Redemption.
DVLA and mental health.
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:06:42 AM »
So, I'm thinking of learning to drive. I've tried before and never got very far, but it's my birthday in June and lots of people are asking what I would like, so I was going to ask for lessons. I hate lessons, but a driving license would be really handy to have - it would open up a new world of jobs and would give me a bit more independence.

Thing is, my MH thing is one which the DVLA says you have to notify them about. I'm pretty stable at the moment (as in, I'm functioning and not going round doing mad things), but have periods that are not so good and I've been in hospital a few times, most recently from August - September 2011. I've printed off and filled in the form to send to them and it's asked for information about my consultant, medication, side effects and diagnosis. It also asked specifically about times in hospital.

I've looked at the "what happens when we're making a decision" section of the DVLA website and it's said that they may write to my psychiatrist for more information. I've only met my (locum) consultant once, for about 30 minutes, so am a bit worried that he won't be able to provide much to go on. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of informing the DVLA about a MH condition? What happened? Success stories or negative experiences welcome!
Chief :smurf: Pry Master.

And hope and grace were all I needed.

This isn't everything you are.

Offline sparkledust

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • when you wish upon a star.........
Re: DVLA and mental health.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 06:48:28 AM »
 i have had good and bad experiences lol

when i was in hospital my consultant notified dvla how unwell i was and they took my liscence off me when i was a bit better i re applied they wrote to my gp i was very honnest in my form and told them of hospital admission and diagnosis my gp was fab let me read his report before it got posted and they gave me what nis known as a short liscence which means they gave me one for a year and i had to re apply again they consider it and decide on your case i had a couple of year ones they three years and now i am back to the normal 10 years

i found the medical team really good at dvla i wouldnt try not to worry hun xx go for it xx
[img width=250 height=52]
there is no such thing as strangers,simply friends waiting to meet

Offline unknown_member

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 09:34:44 AM »
hi... if i remember correctly we have the same diagnosis...

i informed the DVLA of hospital admissions, medication etc they wrote to my psychiatrist and doctor while i was waiting i could still drive, they sent me a letter confirming that... it took them absolutely ages to make a decision... about 9months i was waiting, but once they did they put me on a one year driving license ... i've had two of those now, it just means every year you have to fill in another form and they write to your dr's again...

don't let it put you off going hun, i love driving, it gives me so much freedom ... goodluck! xxx
Anxiety Girl!! Able to jump to the worst possible conclusion in a single bound..

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 12:46:53 PM »
ya be happy and try your best  :-*

Offline escapade

• 18+
  • Usually here
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:19 AM »
I never had any probs. you just have to periodically (every year / three years) send off your licence for a new one and get your GP to fill in a form. bit of a hassle but nothing major. they can be a bit slow though.
Run your own race.