Author Topic: scars *mt sh*  (Read 7866 times)

Offline Turtle

• 18+
  • Usually here
scars *mt sh*
« on: May 13, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
this may be a bit of a ramble so i apologise in advance.
i have a lot of obvious scars on my body. the ones on my arms are still very red and raised but the ones on my legs are raised but white so less shocking. i always have arms covered and usually legs too. last couple of days it's been very hot so not worn tights. it's obvious how i got the scars but people still comment - i just say i was a clumsy teenager.
i always thought people wouldn't comment, as they're obviously sh, i dunno.
how do you get to the point of being able to just say what actually happened? or better - not have people ask?! it seems a bit rude...
what do other people do in these situations? i would to be able to wear short sleeves eventually (when not so red) but not have people comment/ not make it awkward by not having a real excuse - noone is that clumsy!
xx

Offline adriana

• 18+
  • Usually here
Re: scars *mt sh*
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
The weird thing is that sometimes people really don't guess. They think you must have had some kind of crazy accident or something. I think everyone deals with this differently and it drowned what you're comfortable with. It's probably easiest to have a standard answer, it really doesn't matter if its believable or not since its noone else's business, but 'I'd rather not talk about it' is also fine. Once people are used to them they probably won't comment anymore.  :hug2:

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 06:32:00 PM »
ya its hard for me because when i want to go swimming i just am afrad of showing my scares  :'(

Bethy

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »
I'm guessing the people who comment are people who know you? It's tricky, would agree with Adriana that having a standard answer might help.

I showed scars when on holiday last year - a few people (strangers) stared but on the whole it was okay, probably because everyone was just doing their own thing. With people I know, those who've I've worn short sleeves in front of I've briefly explained to "I have scarring" first.

Sorry this wasn't a very helpful reply! I've never been asked how I got them as like you, it's obvious (or so I think).

Good on you for being so brave though x

Offline Reeta

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Faulty genes
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
When I first started wearing short sleeves (after I moved 500 miles away from anyone that knew me apart from one person) I was scared and nervous and it was like people saw that in me so targeted it, like I drew attention to them myself.

Now I wear short sleeves and I dont bother about the scars, in fact they are so normal to me that I dont notice them and so just act like myself. Basically I dont care.

Since that, I dunno, realisation... no one has ever questioned me about the scars. I occasionally get people looking but nothing like before.

Offline Spanna

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • "Our lives are like a candle in the wind"
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:08:47 PM »
This is a situation I struggled to deal with when I was in your situation I found in the heat it was horrible wearing clothing that contains the heat. I never had the confidence to actually wear just t-shirts and shorts. I always used to say I'd sprained something so that I could wear a bandage to cover up my SH.

Eventually I realised enough was enough. I did a bit of research into what I could use to conceal the wounds and scars, and came across a product called Dermacolor. I went to my doctor who was so supportive. I mentioned the Dermacolor and said I wish to get some, my doctor said I had to be referred to a dermatologist in order to have the right color picked for my skin tone. I went to several appointments with the dermatologist they were great and very supportive, they spent some time analysing my skin tone and then spent time mixing up various colours to get the one suited for me.

After a few appointments I had the product and it's done wonders for my confidence and I wear it most days and no one can see a thing.

I'd recommend it. If your doctor isn't aware of the product (mine wasn't) get them to do a search on the internet or on the database they use for giving out medication.
Samaritans 08457 909090

:sheep: < one day the skipping sheep will get on Britain's Got Talent :D

Can you imagine that I am sitting next to you, giving you a hug?  I am sending good thoughts your way. 

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »
that sounds great  :hug2:

Offline Tigger

• 18+
  • Usually here
  • Tigger has lost the bounce
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:12 PM »
spanna are your scars flat? i have a lot of raised keloid scars i have had red cross camoflage but it doesnt work brilliantly because it can't hide the texture if that makes sense??
Outside I'm smiling, Inside I'm crying. Outside I'm laughing, Inside I'm dying.
"Its goodbye to the shortcuts, hello to the grind, no one ever said it would be an easy ride" - Relentless
Last SH 18/02/12

Offline greenday

• Usually here
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »
ya mine r white but they ich alot